Error Reporting
Hou C. Kee
2004-05-03 12:19:54 UTC
Hi,

I get the following error when trying to run startx.

Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/tmp/XWin.log"

win DeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server.
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Any ideas?

-Hou
Alexander Gottwald
2004-05-03 12:24:45 UTC
Post by Hou C. Kee
Hi,
I get the following error when trying to run startx.
Cannot open log file "/tmp/XWin.log"
is the directory /tmp valid? Maybe there is a stale mountpoint which points
/tmp to an invalid direcory.

is /tmp writeable?

is /tmp/XWin.log locked by another process?

bye
ago
--
***@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
http://www.gotti.org ICQ: 126018723
Hou Kee
2004-05-03 12:26:36 UTC
Hi,

I get the following error when trying to run startx. One possible reason
is because I created an extra user account for my XP Box because Cygwin
complained about having a space in my username. Startx works for the
original user account, but not for the new one.

-Hou
Danilo Turina
2004-05-03 13:11:49 UTC
Maybe you haven't the rights to write to that file ("/tmp/XWin.log")
from the new user, maybe because you installed Cygwin with the old user
and the /tmp directory has been created by that user.

Ciao,

Danilo
Post by Hou Kee
Hi,
I get the following error when trying to run startx. One possible reason
is because I created an extra user account for my XP Box because Cygwin
complained about having a space in my username. Startx works for the
original user account, but not for the new one.
Cannot open log file "/tmp/XWin.log"
win DeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server.
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
Any ideas?
-Hou
--
--------------------------------------
Danilo Turina

3 anni 24 giorni 5 ore 38 minuti 46 secondi
Alexander Gottwald
2004-05-03 14:01:16 UTC
Pretty sure its not a problem with tmp directory.
I'm pretty sure it is a problem with /tmp. Is /tmp writable for the second
user? Have you verified that?
I created an additional xp user account because cygwin complained about
having spaces in the username. Startx works for the original username,
but not the new one.
bye
ago