Clipboard fix - Please test
Harold L Hunt II
2004-03-25 06:15:08 UTC
I have just uploaded XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-61 and I think it will fix the
clipboard related hangs. I would really appreciate it if people in
other timezones could test this through the night (should show up on
some mirrors with in a few hours, like mirrors.kernel.org) so that I can
fix any problems with the change tomorrow. I would like to get this
change stabilized before including Takuma's additional performance
enhancement for multi-window mode.

I also want to fix our dang tray icon that isn't cleaning itself up in
all cases anymore...

Harold
A***@msg.de
2004-03-25 09:23:57 UTC
Hallo,
I have had an freeze with the .60 Cygx Relase and IBM Personal
Communication, it has freezed when Coping somthing in IBM PC just after
copying somting in cygwin. (IBM PM Was freezed completly, Cygwin wasnt
able zu shutdown.)

Now with the 61 Release IBM PM freeze for about 2-3 Sek than all works
again normaly, so i coult say it has gotten better.

An the vim -g bug i mentioned earlier email still exists.

See yo
Andreas
Harold L Hunt II
2004-03-25 16:10:36 UTC
Andreas,
Post by A***@msg.de
Hallo,
I have had an freeze with the .60 Cygx Relase and IBM Personal
Communication, it has freezed when Coping somthing in IBM PC just after
copying somting in cygwin. (IBM PM Was freezed completly, Cygwin wasnt
able zu shutdown.)
Now with the 61 Release IBM PM freeze for about 2-3 Sek than all works
again normaly, so i coult say it has gotten better.
Okay, that is pretty much how it should work.

I set the timeout to 3 seconds when we don't get the reply that we are
looking for. I will probably tune that now down to 1 or 2 seconds... in
fact, I can probably drop it to 0.5 seconds since we do call XSync
before waiting for events, so our reply should always be waiting for us
when we look for it.

Harold
Ben Jackson
2004-03-25 16:17:34 UTC
Yep, this stop's things from hanging indefinitely (ie they now only hang for
3 secs) but after the 3 secs it still doesn't paste into the app. This is
only broken for pasting from X->Windows and NOT vice versa. Win->X is fine
(as is X->X) and works a treat, but X->win hangs for 3 seconds ...

I guess this is an improvement, but doesn't resolve the issue of it not
pasting the text.
Here's my XWin.log now:
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened
the display.
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.
winClipboardWindowProc - WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD - Initializing - Returning.
winProcessXEventsTimeout - Call to select () failed: 0. Bailing.
winProcessXEventsTimeout - Call to select () failed: 0. Bailing.
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window
Parameter)
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
winProcessXEventsTimeout - Call to select () failed: 0. Bailing.
winProcessXEventsTimeout - Call to select () failed: 0. Bailing.
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
(END)

thanks for looking at this.

Ps: I was copying text from nedit to any windows app, ill try some other
apps and other datatypes.

Harold
Harold L Hunt II
2004-03-25 16:38:04 UTC
Ben,
Post by Ben Jackson
Yep, this stop's things from hanging indefinitely (ie they now only hang for
3 secs) but after the 3 secs it still doesn't paste into the app. This is
only broken for pasting from X->Windows and NOT vice versa. Win->X is fine
(as is X->X) and works a treat, but X->win hangs for 3 seconds ...
I guess this is an improvement, but doesn't resolve the issue of it not
pasting the text.
Well, that wasn't the goal, was it? :)

The first part of this problem is that I need more detailed information
from people about what apps are causing problems. In fact, I really
need a package that is freely available on debian unstable that I can
install and have an easily reproducible test case with. I'll leave that
legwork to the folks affected by this since I have been unable to
reproduce it until now.

We may just find out that the X app that owned the selection no longer
has the data and that we need to clear the bit that says X owns the
clipboard contents. The apps having trouble may be notifying us of
their relinquished ownership in a way that is either not handled by us
or not reliably handled by us.

Waiting for a test case,

Harold
Peter Graf
2004-03-25 23:56:15 UTC
Post by Harold L Hunt II
I have just uploaded XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-61 and I think it will fix the
clipboard related hangs.
Harold
Hello Harold

I still think that my problem with running the remote KDE on
Cygwin X has sth to do with the clipboard. Because the only way
to get it running is to select text in a xterm window, and thus
copy it into the clipboard.

I just downloaded 4.3.0-61, it did not improve anything
for me. Starting the remote KDE still hangs, until I select
some text in an xterm window. Starting any application inside
KDE, the application will only appear after I again select
some text in a window. Once an application like Konqueror
is running it works fine, a little slower than I am used to
maybe.

I hope that post helps a little bit with improving things.

Peter
Peter Graf, http://mission.base.com