Unable to open display or run xterm
Glen Robinson
2007-06-01 02:49:13 UTC
I did a chmd on /tmp/.X11-unix and got X "kind of" up. i.e., I have a
screen and a cursor and alt tab will move me in and out of Windows XP
windows/apps. I can't get an xterm running and when I right click on
the X icon in the system tray and 'exit' the submenu that comes up says
that 0 processes are running. Attempting to launch an xterm from a
cygwin window with "DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 && xterm &" fails with a
message that it couldn't open the display. I am not sure what the
parameters in the DISPLAY variable are, however, I have tried using
LOCAL:0:0 and got the same effect. This occurs on a Dell Inspiron 8600
laptop and on a very recent buld HP Pavilion (Sempron processor). Both
have the same cygwin packages installed, and I can ssh to my linux boxes
on them wth no problem (though not from X, of course).
The attached XWin log and config file are from this laptop.
Christopher Faylor
2007-06-01 03:24:04 UTC
Post by Glen Robinson
I did a chmd on /tmp/.X11-unix and got X "kind of" up. i.e., I have a
screen and a cursor and alt tab will move me in and out of Windows XP
windows/apps. I can't get an xterm running and when I right click on
the X icon in the system tray and 'exit' the submenu that comes up says
that 0 processes are running. Attempting to launch an xterm from a
cygwin window with "DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 && xterm &" fails with a
message that it couldn't open the display.
You're not setting DISPLAY correctly. Try:

DISPLAY=:0 xterm&

The && does not make any sense for what you are trying to do.

cgf

Glen Robinson
2007-06-03 17:25:55 UTC
Christopher Faylor suggested that I try:
DISPLAY=:0 xterm&
This immediately failed with error 53 (after hitting return twice). The
exact same thing occurred in attempting to run xclock (DISPLAY=:0
xclock&). I am not sure what error 53 is (or where it is coming from
- xterm or the shell - or). When I close windows (right click on X in
tray then exit button) I get a message that zero clients are running. I
am currently trying this on my HP desktop which has a geForce 7600
display adapter (i.e., 2 monitor capable adapter). The X display does
come up and I can move the cursor with the mouse, so I presume X is
hitting the correct spigot.

Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
2007-06-03 17:47:39 UTC
Post by Christopher Faylor
DISPLAY=:0 xterm&
This immediately failed with error 53 (after hitting return twice). The
exact same thing occurred in attempting to run xclock (DISPLAY=:0
xclock&). I am not sure what error 53 is (or where it is coming from
- xterm or the shell - or).
$ net helpmsg 53

The network path was not found.

Sounds to me like other software is getting in your way (anti-virus,
firewall, etc.)
--
Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office

Scott Mohnkern
2007-06-26 18:54:36 UTC
I had Cygwin with Windowmaker running just beautifully, then another
application came in and installed another xserver (which I've since
disabled) but now inside windowmaker, whenever I try to open up an Xterm
window the window opens but I get no bash prompt.

I can type an ls and get a file listing, and a ps gives me processes.

However whenever I try to ssh -Y to another machine, it tells me

"Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal."

Anyone ever seen this before, and a solution?

Scott Mohnkern

Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
2007-06-26 19:12:12 UTC
Post by Scott Mohnkern
I had Cygwin with Windowmaker running just beautifully, then another
application came in and installed another xserver (which I've since
disabled) but now inside windowmaker, whenever I try to open up an Xterm
window the window opens but I get no bash prompt.
I can type an ls and get a file listing, and a ps gives me processes.
However whenever I try to ssh -Y to another machine, it tells me
"Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal."
Anyone ever seen this before, and a solution?
I'd suggest reading the problem reporting guidelines outlined at the link
Post by Scott Mohnkern
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
You've given us some information about how the problem manifests itself
but it would be helpful to know what other Xserver you installed as well
as basic boot-strap information (i.e. cygcheck output - *attached* not
included/inlined).
--
Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd. (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

Scott Mohnkern
2007-06-26 19:19:54 UTC
Apologies, I was following the format of other questions I'd seen here.

Attached is cygcheck.out

The other server was Xvision, which was part of an automatic install of
Cradle 5.5.x

Scott
included/inlined).
Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
2007-06-26 19:49:02 UTC
Post by Scott Mohnkern
Apologies, I was following the format of other questions I'd seen here.
Attached is cygcheck.out
The other server was Xvision, which was part of an automatic install of
Cradle 5.5.x
You (no longer?) have Cygwin in your path. You're picking up the
Nutcracker/MKS tools now. Fix your path and give a quick run through of
the rest of your environment to clean up any issues. Two that caught my
eye are $HOME and $TERM are now incorrectly set. If you can find where
Nutcracker/MKS sets these and remove/avoid them, you'll have better luck
working with Cygwin.

Scott Mohnkern
2007-06-26 20:41:31 UTC
Post by Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
Post by Scott Mohnkern
Apologies, I was following the format of other questions I'd seen here.
Attached is cygcheck.out
The other server was Xvision, which was part of an automatic install
of Cradle 5.5.x
You (no longer?) have Cygwin in your path. You're picking up the
Nutcracker/MKS tools now. Fix your path and give a quick run through of
the rest of your environment to clean up any issues. Two that caught my
eye are $HOME and $TERM are now incorrectly set. If you can find where
Nutcracker/MKS sets these and remove/avoid them, you'll have better luck
working with Cygwin.
That appears to have solved most of it. Removing the nutcracker entries
and putting cygwin and cygwin bin in the path got me up and running. It
doesn't appear to be pulling my profile up correctly when I open up bash
(It's defaulting to a different $HOME but I can probably figure out
where that is set)

Thanks for your time.

Scott Mohnkern

Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
2007-06-26 20:58:45 UTC
Scott Mohnkern
2007-06-27 13:30:37 UTC
Post by Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
Post by Scott Mohnkern
Post by Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
Post by Scott Mohnkern
[...]
It's probably in your system-level environment, which you can access from
the Windows control panel "System" applet. Good luck.
That's definitely it I'm pretty sure it's an environment variable that
got messed with. Cradle during install set $SHELL to "nutc" without
telling me, and I'm 90% sure that's what caused Windowmaker to choke.
Now I just need to figure out which of these other system variables need
to go, and which ones I need to put back in.

Scott