xterm fails to start with "setuid failed: Permission denied"
Florimon van Putte
2002-06-25 08:42:04 UTC
Hello kind souls,

I've installed the latest Cygwin & XFree86 ; the Cygwin utilities & shells
themselves run fine, as does the XFree86 X-server - that is, the twm window
manager starts up alright, but when the first (or any thereafter) xterm
window announces its position and I click to accept, it vanishes again
instantly. After some digging around I found the '-hold' option, and when I
use this I can see that before refusing any further interaction, the xterm
window displays the message "setuid failed: Permission denied". This happens
only for xterm's that I try to open from my own machine; when I do an "xhost
+", and open an xterm on another machine with display to my machine, it
works ok.
I did set my CYGWIN env. variable to "ntsec ntea", chown'ed xterm.exe to
'Administrator' and chgrp'ed it to 'Administrators' (my own account is
'fputte', not a local one but a domain account), and did a "chmod ugo+sx
xterm.exe" but all that didn't help either.

I'm probably overlooking something, but I have read the XFree FAQ, I've
searched the mailing list archives and did a Google-search, but nothing
seems relevant.

Any advice ?
rgds,
Florimon van Putte

PS: My config: HP Vectra PIII/500Mhz 128 Mb, NT 4/SP6

System Developer,
CMG Telecom (a division of CMG Noordwest-Nederland B.V.)
Graadt van Roggenweg 350 (Hojel Center D, Begane grond)
3531 AH Utrecht
P.O. Box 8013
3503 RA Utrecht
Cell: +31 (0)654 636 046
Tel.: +31 (0)30 233 9561
Fax: +31 (0)30 233 9555
Peter Keller
2002-06-25 10:13:50 UTC
Hi,
I'm getting the same for xterm. My Cygwin / XFree86 installation from about
three
months ago was running fine, but when I upgraded it yesterday I get the same
problem,
at least when running as a domain user. Xterm works when I run it as the local
administrator though.

I also have problems with xcalc (window is filled with the "0" button), and
xedit
(displays the message "Error: Shell widget fileMenu has zero width and/or
height"
and doesn't start). This is both as domain user and local administrator

This happens with both XFree86 and StaNet X-Win32 as X servers. Is there a
problem
with the client utilities build?

Regards,
Peter.
Ralf Habacker
2002-06-25 10:42:06 UTC
Post by Peter Keller
Hi,
I'm getting the same for xterm. My Cygwin / XFree86 installation from about
three
months ago was running fine, but when I upgraded it yesterday I get the same
problem,
at least when running as a domain user. Xterm works when I run it as the local
administrator though.
I also have problems with xcalc (window is filled with the "0" button), and
xedit
(displays the message "Error: Shell widget fileMenu has zero width and/or
height"
and doesn't start). This is both as domain user and local administrator
This happens with both XFree86 and StaNet X-Win32 as X servers. Is there a
problem
with the client utilities build?
This is caused by a stricter uid/gid handling in cygwin 1.3.11. I've stumbled
about it and Corinna Vinschen told me to make sure, that for all user, who could
own files, which you like to access has to be a corresponding entry in
/etc/passwd.

See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-06/msg01198.html for more informations.
Peter Keller
2002-06-25 16:45:56 UTC
Post by Ralf Habacker
This is caused by a stricter uid/gid handling in cygwin 1.3.11. I've stumbled
about it and Corinna Vinschen told me to make sure, that for all user, who could
own files, which you like to access has to be a corresponding entry in
/etc/passwd.
See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-06/msg01198.html for more informations.
Thanks: after fixing my /etc/passwd, it works for me. BUT, I don't use ntsec, which
is
why I had never read the docs about it too closely.

This stricter uid/gid stuff affects non-ntsec use as well: perhaps the user manual
could
be updated to reflect this?

Regards,
Peter.

P.S. xcalc and xedit are still broken. Maybe a Motif/Lesstif problem? Anyway, these
are
not the most important of utilities.
Florimon van Putte
2002-06-26 08:50:35 UTC
Ok, I've done

mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd
mkgroup -l -u > /etc/group
mkgroup -d -u >> /etc/group

but I keep having xterm die on me with "setuid failed: Permission denied"
??

rgds,
Florimon van Putte
Franz Wolfhagen
2002-06-26 10:10:16 UTC
Let me guess - you have logged in as a domain user, but your home directory
is /home/Administrator (or whatever the local administrator is named in
dutch...)

It seems that cygwin is capable of seeing all domain users and when running
'whoami' returns 'Administrator' instead of the domain user.

I would guess that you will have to create an account in /etc/passwd
manually - the question is just how... - but I will guess that you will
have to find the SID of you domain user and add it to /etc/passwd.

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Franz Wolfhagen

Florimon van Putte <***@cmg.nl>@cygwin.com on 26-06-2002
10:50:35

Please respond to Florimon van Putte <***@cmg.nl>

Sent by: cygwin-xfree-***@cygwin.com

To: Cygwin-Xfree <cygwin-***@sources.redhat.com>
cc:
Subject: RE: xterm fails to start with "setuid failed: Permission
denied"

Florimon van Putte
Florimon van Putte
2002-06-26 12:14:00 UTC
Post by Franz Wolfhagen
Let me guess - you have logged in as a domain user, but your
home directory
is /home/Administrator (or whatever the local administrator
is named in
dutch...)
Thank god I'm using an English NT installation :))
Anyway - argh ! It works after all - after running the mkpasswd and mkgroup,
I hadn't exited my login shell. When I did and restarted it, I landed into
/home/fputte instead of /home/Administrator and now it works. Thanks for the
help !

rgds,
Florimon
Post by Franz Wolfhagen
It seems that cygwin is capable of seeing all domain users
and when running
'whoami' returns 'Administrator' instead of the domain user.
I would guess that you will have to create an account in /etc/passwd
manually - the question is just how... - but I will guess
that you will
have to find the SID of you domain user and add it to /etc/passwd.
Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Franz Wolfhagen
26-06-2002
10:50:35